Monday 12 January 2015

New Year, Not-So New Me

Since this is my first post of the year, I thought I'd talk about some of my new years resolutions. Surprisingly this is my first year ever making resolutions; I have always been the type to laugh at the cliche 'New Year, New Me' posts that are always floating about at this time of year, so I thought I'd make some this year and see whether I would keep to them. Plus maybe posting them for the world to see will make me a little more likely to keep them. However I went a bit overboard on the resolution list so thought I'd narrow it down to my top five and give a little insight into why I chose them with each one.

1) Draw, read and write more! - At the end of last year I realised that since starting college I had become insanely lazy when it came to these three things; three of my passions had slowly become more like chores. I will normally finish of a sketchbook or a notebook in under a month but I've yet to finish ones I bought in September! There are books on my shelves that I had been dying to read that I am now too tired to even look at! So in this new year I am determined to get my passion and drive back, I refuse to let my love for these things die out.

2) Learn to cook- This may seem simple to some people but anyone who knows me will know that my culinary skills just about stretch to boiling eggs and making toast. Unless I'm being cooked for I seem to live on cereal, soup and ready meals and that probably isn't the healthiest lifestyle to lead. My family love to bring up how I managed to give myself food poisoning with chicken nuggets so I am determined to have them eating their words by the end of the year.

3) Learn to drive- I turn 17 this year so I am determined to have my driver license before the year is through. Driving will mean I'm a lot less limited in where I can and can't go since trains, buses and taxis make me ridiculously anxious. Plus I will be able to go to the drive-thru Starbucks whenever I want as soon as I have a license; no longer will I have to put up with my dad's dreadful attempts at coffee making!

4) Sleep more- I am a natural born worrier, with anxiety and my tendency to overthink EVERYTHING this makes for very little sleep. Since I was a kid I've been averaging at about 4-5 hours a night, and that comes with a hell of a lot of drawbacks. I'm constantly tired, unable to focus and the bags under my eyes have bags! But no matter how exhausted I am, come 11 o'clock I am completely incapable of sleep because my mid just refuses to shut off. So this year I am determined to get into the habit of going to sleep earlier, for the sake of my mental health and my poor family who are kept awake by me watching TV until 3 in the morning nearly every night.

5) Get a job and stop wasting money- I lost my job in November and have since been unemployed. Now a smart person would have spent there money carefully and saved until they got a new job, but I am not that person and now have around £10 to my name. Plus this year I'm planning to go to Leeds festival and I want to go travelling next year, but at the moment I can barely afford to buy lunch. So this year I need a job and I am determined to get into the habit of saving my money so that I actually afford to do all of these things, otherwise I'm going to be stuck here for a while.

So there is my top five resolutions, bearing in mind there are another 15 or so of the classic 'Be healthier' and 'Spend more time with family' which I am less likely to stick to. As well as all of these I am determined to post at least one thing on here a week, if not more. Whether it is a full blog post, some bits and bobs I've been or something entirely different.

I hope you all had a great Christmas and a happy new year!

-Georgia xx

No comments:

Post a Comment